Thursday, February 11, 2010

Midwest Animal Rescue Shelter (MAPS)

Meet Angelique (Annie).  We recently rescued her from an animal shelter in the cities.  She was in need of an emergency foster family after delivering puppies just 8 weeks ago.  Without a foster family, she would have had to return to a sheltered life at MAPS...and we all know what happens to the animals that don't get adopted within a short amount of time. :(

Being that we have not had the best success with dogs in our home, we were very reluctant to open our home to a foster pet.  To this day, I am not entirely sure how I even found her because I wasn't looking for a dog in the first place.  I was looking for a couch on Craigslist.  Somehow, "Angelique" showed up in my search for an "antique" couch.

Well, she is a 3 year old (best estimate) bull dog and very big compared to the little dogs we have had in our home.  Unlike my first impression of a "bull dog," she is the sweetest, most lovable dog I have ever met.  In less than a week, our entire family has fallen in love with her...and Annie wants nothing more than to be loved.

Annie is completely housebroken and she is very obedient.  We have discovered that she knows simple commands like sit, lay, shake hands, stay, and down.  At first she did not walk well on a leash (mostly because everything was new to her), but with a firm voice she also obeys "heel."  Whoever had Annie, taught her well...it's honestly hard for me to believe anyone would give this sweet girl up!  All she does is sleep all day.  Did I mention that she leaves the kitchen (on her own) every single time we sit down to eat.  What dog leaves a room when there is food on the table?!

Anyway, here are a few pictures of Annie.  She LOVES the kids!

No comments: